Breaking

Sunday, March 13, 2016

HANNAH OJO: ‘I DON’T GO SEARCHING FOR CONTROVERSY’

HANNAH  OJO: ‘I DON’T GO SEARCHING FOR  CONTROVERSY’
HANNAH OJO
From acting in church as a child to gracing the big screen, Nollywood actress and model, Hannah Seyi Ojo, has seen it all. A wedding planner, model, and modelling instructor, the thespian says that her best is yet to come. In this interview with OVWE MEDEME, she talks about her journey so far, aspirations and some of the projects she will be carrying out soon.
WHAT influenced your decision to become an actress?
I’ve always loved acting, even as a kid. For instance, I was in the drama group in church but I never thought of taking it to professional heights; not until 2005 when a friend saw the potential in me and took me for an audition. That was when I became a model and also an actor.
For how long have you been acting?
Professionally, I’ve been acting since 2005 and I’ve acted in quite a number of movies. I really can’t say how many but I’ve done lots of movies. But for TV drama, I’ve done quite a number of them.
Of all the movies you’ve been in, which strikes you as the most challenging?
Every role given to me is challenging. I say this considering the fact that they are not the same. Every role comes with its own uniqueness and needs a bit of professional prowess which the actor must deliver. All that put together makes them most challenging.
Any regrets so far?
So far, I haven’t had any regrets.
What is currently keeping you busy?
I’m currently abroad working on a project which will take me across Europe. It’s really going to take me a while.
What is the nature of the project you are working on?
For now, I would like to keep it under wraps. It’s not yet time to talk about it. When I’m ready to, I promise you will be the first person I will tell (laughs).
The first quarter of the year is  fast running out, how did  you fare last year and what are you hoping to achieve this year?
Wow! Last year for me was a great year. I actually produced a short film which means a lot to me. It is titled Last Act. It was selected for a screening at the Inshort Film Festival. I was also got nominated in the category of Best Actress, which means a lot to me. I was happy that my effort was being recognised.
Last year, I also featured in quite a number of good movies. However, for this year, I hope to achieve much more than I did last year. There are lots of projects on ground that I’m pursuing. I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag just yet, but let’s keep our fingers crossed.
What is the most controversial thing you have done as an actress?
I’m not a controversial person. I’ve not been involved in any act of controversy, at least none that I can remember. That is because controversy is not my thing.
But others say that controversy sells. What’s your take on that?
Well, my take is this; if you think controversy sells, then go look for one. It’s because you’re a journalist and you guys always pray to get one. You people also go the extra mile to create controversy where there’s none. But as for me, I know what I want in the industry and I don’t think I need controversy to get it.
Where do you draw your influences from?
Actually, I read books online. I also watch some good films to build myself more in terms of acting.
Do you find getting yourself into character for a role very challenging?
Yes, most of the time it is very challenging. This is because I tend to play different characters at different times. Sometimes I go all out to research for some roles in order for me to play the character convincingly.
Are you in a relationship?
That’s too private; I like to keep my private life private.
What is your idea of an ideal man?
An ideal man should be hard working, God fearing, industrious, funny, and caring. He must have my interest at heart.
Tell us about your beauty routine
I really don’t have serious beauty routine, compared to some people. But I will say I do lots of water therapy which makes me look younger and beautiful (laughs). I also make sure I use face cleanser regularly, and I eat lots of fruits.
What is your favourite dish?
Garnished noodles with fried plantain.
Do you know how to prepare it?
Of course I can prepare any kind of food well.
How do you unwind?
I seldom go out to unwind although I love dancing. Also, I like to hang out in cool places with my close friends, and when I’m not with friends, I’m home watching films or reading.
Aside acting, what else are you into?
Aside acting, I’m also a wedding planner, a model, and a modelling instructor.
Is there a downside to being an entertainer and what has been your experience in that regard?
Yes, there is and it’s called lack of privacy. I can’t do what I like as an actress. I can’t go to some places even if I want to.
What stands you out from your peers?
I take things one at a time. I don’t believe I have to join the bandwagon of aggressive actors to make it to the top.
Between feature films and TV series, which catches your fancy more and why?
Well, for me, it’s both. I consider them the same thing. The only difference is that feature films travel faster compared to TV drama.
What is the story behind your short film, Last Act?
Last Act is a moving story that tells us how to live our truth, share our enthusiasm, take action towards our dreams, walk our talk, sing and dance to our music, embrace our blessings and make everyday worth remembering, but never to trade our health for anything.
Like some of your colleagues, do you intend producing a feature film any time soon?
Yes, I intend to and it’s very soon.
You recently put out a video condemning domestic violence; do you have any experience you would like to share?
I’ve never been a victim of domestic violence, but I did that because I stand against it. We need to make it stop because it’s not right. We are humans, not animals. That video is just my own way of creating awareness to say no to domestic violence and I’m glad I did it.
Is that a pet project you would be carrying out?
Yes, I have more of that coming out soon. As an actress, I will continue to advocate on behalf of those victims out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *